Who to Call about Workplace Problems

E-mail Print
Depending on the nature of your problem or complaint, there are a number of places to get help or file a complaint.

Employment Standards

Most complaints related to work are covered by employment standards. If you think your boss has violated your employment rights (such as payment, holidays, etc.) contact your local Employment Standards Office. To find your local office, call the province-wide Employment Standards number toll-free by dialing 310-0000, then dialing (780) 427-3731.

The Employment Standards website is:

Complaints can be made at any time during employment or within six months of leaving a job. If you are still employed, keep in mind that your boss will be notified and will receive a copy of the complaint. This makes it difficult to file complaints since, even though it is illegal, many employers retaliate against employees who file complaints.

(back to top of page)

Human Rights

A person who thinks his or her human rights have been violated can file a complaint with the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission.

To call toll-free within Alberta, dial 310-0000 and then enter the area code and phone number.

Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission
Northern Regional Office
800 Standard Life Centre
10405 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4R7
Confidential Inquiry Line: (780) 427-7661
Fax: (780) 427-6013

Southern Regional Office
200 John J. Bowlen Building
620 - 7 Avenue SW
Calgary AB   T2P 0Y8
Confidential Inquiry Line: 403-297-6571
Fax:   403-297-6567

For province-wide free access from a cellular phone, enter *310 (for Rogers Wireless) or #310 (for Telus and Bell).

TTY service for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing
Edmonton: (780) 427-1597
Calgary: (403) 297-5639

Toll-free within Alberta 1-800-232-7215

E-mail: humanrights@gov.ab.ca

The Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission website is: http://www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca

A complaint must be made to the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission within one year after the alleged incident.

(back to top of page)

Workplace Health and Safety

Workplace health and safety falls under the jurisdiction of Alberta Human Resources and Employment.

For general information about Workplace Health and Safety, contact the Call Centre at 1-866-415-8690 or fax to (780) 422-3730.

Deaf or hearing impaired with TDD/TTY units call (780) 427-9999 (Edmonton) or 1-800-232-7215 in other locations.

Email: whs@gov.ab.ca.

The website for Workplace Health and Safety is:


Workers' Compensation Board

For all general inquiries to the Alberta Workers' Compensation Board, contact:

Toll-free anywhere in Alberta 1-866- WCB-WCB1 (1-866-922-9221)

Street Address:
9912 - 107 Street, Edmonton
Mailing Address:
PO Box 2415
Edmonton, AB T5J 2S5

Communications Terminal for the Deaf, Hearing and Speech Impaired number is 780-498-7895

The Workers' Compensation Board website is www.wcb.ab.ca

(back to top of page)

Other Help

If you're not sure where to turn to or if you have general inquiries about work in Alberta, you can contact the Alberta Federation of Labour.

If you have specific questions or need help with a health and safety issue, you can contact the Alberta Workers' Health Centre at:

Toll Free: 1-888-729-4879
In Edmonton: (780) 486-9009
Fax: (780) 483-7632

Email: info@workershealthcentre.ca

300, 10140 - 117 Street
Edmonton, AB T5K 1X3

The Alberta Workers' Health Centre website is: www.workershealthcentre.ca

(back to top of page)

Get Copies of Legislation

Legislation that covers you as a worker is available free of charge on-line from the Alberta Queen's Printers, and hard copies are also available for a charge.

The most common legislation you may need to reference is at:

Employment Standards Code
Employment Standards Regulation
Labour Relations Code
Workers' Compensation Act
Workers' Compensation Regulation
Alberta Human Rights Act

Contact the Alberta Queen's Printer:

Main Floor, Park Plaza
10611 - 98 Avenue,
Edmonton, AB T5K 2P7

Phone: (780) 427-4952
Fax: (780) 452-0668

Office hours: 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday (except statutory holidays).

You can call the Queen's Printer toll-free in Alberta by dialling 310-0000 followed by the 10 digit phone number of the office you wish to contact.

The Alberta Queen's Printer website is http://www.qp.alberta.ca

(back to top of page)