McKesson Canada workers hit the picket lines in Edmonton
- 213 members of UFCW 401 at McKesson Canada in Edmonton are on strike, with the issues including wage parity with employees in Calgary and increases to benefits that have not changed in five years and have been eroded by inflation. Instead, management is seeking concessions. For more information ...
Alberta's jobs crisis continues
- While Canada has recently seen an increase in full-time employment, Alberta has bucked the trend and has been shedding full-time jobs - 9,600 of them between May and June 2010. Instead of acting to improve the situation, the Alberta government has cut job-training programs, mostly aimed at helping youth and aboriginal workers. Meanwhile, social assistance caseloads have soared by 50 per cent. Read more at ...
- The Alberta government revenue system is broken, as witnessed by wildly fluctuating revenue predictions and the resulting intense pressure on public services including health care and education. It's time for a grown-up conversation about how to fix the system and ensure we have the funds to pay for vital public services. For "Which Way Will We Pay?" and more information ...
Minimum wage increases do not lead to job losses
- New Alberta Federation of Labour research shows employment in service industries actually grows after minimum wages increases, said AFL president Gil McGowan in his presentation to a government panel reviewing Alberta's minimum wage. For more, read ...
Join the rally to support workers at Calgary Stampede July 13!
Park Operations workers at the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede are seeking a first contract and need your help. Join them in a rally near the Stampede ground Tuesday, July 13. For details ...
July 13, 2010 - IAMAW Rally, Calgary
Time: 9:00 a.m. - gather to hand out flyer
11:00 a.m. - rally begins
Location: Calgary Stampede Exhibition grounds, Southern LRT exit ramp, Erlton Station, 25th Avenue and Macleod Trail South
July 31, 2010 - CUPW Edmonton Sandtrap Open (firstname.lastname@example.org)
August 9 to 13, 2010 - AFL Kids' Camp
August 29, 2010 - Big Splash Open Golf Tournament
September 6, 2010 - Edmonton District & Labour Council Labour Day Barbeque
Did you know ...
The Alberta government has cut funding to the following job-training programs:
- Youth Connections 26.59%
- Career Development Services 12.68%
- Basic Skills/Academic Upgrading 16.55%
- Summer Temporary Employment 22.48%
- Workforce Partnerships 34.36%
- Aboriginal Development Partnerships 7.39%