Say No to Old Dutch Chips
- Rather than bargain fairly, Old Dutch Chips on March 30 locked out 170 workers at its Calgary plant. The workers are simply looking for provisions that most workers take for granted: sick pay, minimum hour guarantees, stronger food safety standards and a requirement that all workers pay union dues. The workers, members of UFCW 401, are asking Albertans to not purchase Old Dutch products until the company agrees to a fair deal. Old Dutch chips include the generic brands made for Safeway and Superstore. Take a bite out of Old Dutch profits ...
How To Keep Energy Jobs in Alberta
- Alberta's boom has started to bust with the global economic recession, and thanks to the Alberta government's insistence on a "hands off" policy in the oil sands, thousands of future jobs in upgrading and refining will be located in the U.S. instead of Alberta. The AFL has released a new report, "Lost Down the Pipeline," examining the problem and offering solutions on how we can retain these high quality jobs in Alberta when the downturn ends. Read Lost Down the Pipeline ...
Getting Some Green...Jobs That Is
- The old claim that we have to choose between jobs and the environment is a myth. It is possible to take action to protect the environment AND create good jobs at the same time. To prove it, the AFL has partnered with the Sierra Club and Greenpeace to craft a groundbreaking report on the potential for green jobs in Alberta. Called "Green Jobs: It's time to Build Alberta's Future," it defines a "green job" and looks at concrete ways we can put Albertans to work improving the environment and strengthening our economy at the same time. Read the Green Jobs Report ...
See It On YouTube
- You read our reports. You surf our website. You check out Labourbytes. Now you can see the video version of AFL activities. The AFL has begun producing short videos of our report releases and other events and posting them on YouTube, just like all the cool kids do. Also, for ease of reference, we are linking them to a single page in our website. So, next time you are looking for the AFL's position on an issue, try checking out our YouTube video. http://www.afl.org/pressroom/youtube.cfm?pageId=434&action=preview
AFL Officers Re-elected
- At the AFL Biennial Convention at the end of April, both AFL President Gil McGowan and Secretary-Treasurer Nancy Furlong were re-elected . The Convention also selected a new Executive Council to guide AFL activities for the next two years.
Stand Up for Public Healthcare!
Friends of Medicare Rally
Saturday May 9, 2009 @ 1:30pm
Alberta Legislature, Edmonton
We are standing up to tell our Health Minister that we do not agree with the attack on seniors, the threats to our services, closures of hospitals, along with the rest of the dismantling that has been occurring.
Let's give the Health Minister a strong message that we want positive improvement to our public Healthcare system!
We are organizing buses and car pools from around the province!
If you are wanting to get on one of these buses, call the Friends of Medicare: (780)423-4581. Stand up for Medicare ...
Public Interest Alberta's 5th Anniversary Celebration
Friday, June 5, 2009
Chateau Louis Conference Centre
11727 Kingsway, Edmonton
This evening will give us an opportunity to come together to socialize and reflect on the important work we have undertaken over the past five years. We will also be presenting our annual Public Interest Award to this year's recipients.
Tickets - Individual $65.00 / Table of 8 - $500.00
6:00 pm - Cocktails
7:00 pm - Dinner
8:00 pm - Celebration & Entertainment
Did you know ...
Green Job Creation in Alberta
Short Term: 53,000 to 65,000
Medium Term: 85,000 to 140,000
Possible Green Jobs:
- Retrofitting buildings
- Building and operating public transit
- Manufacturing Green Products
- Building High Speed Rail
- Creating Green Energy Infrastructure