Graduates of this program will be able to go into the workplace and work with their local and assist co-workers to identify community resources. Before graduating, they will practice the skills they learn and will be able to operate comfortably in a union context.
The Objectives Of Labour Community Advocate Training Are:
- To train union members and other workers about community services so they can referco-workers to appropriate resources.
- To train union members about their role as Labour Community Advocates in the labour family.
- To provide union members and other workers with information about community issues so they can better work with labour, community organizations and the United Way to build community.
OBJECTIVES: LEVEL 1
- To provide an overview of the role of a Labour Community Advocate within the labour movement and the community.
- To develop the communication, interview and referral skills of the participants.
- To provide some basic information and skills building with an overview of specific issues.
- To integrate equity considerations into labour community advocate work.
- To make the link between union action for members/community and what we do in the workplace (e.g., collective bargaining).
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
DAY 1 FRIDAY
Unions and Community, Unity and Communication Section
DAY 2 SATURDAY
Complete Communications Section, Interviewing and Stress
DAY 3 SUNDAY
Complete Stress, Workplace Violence, Substance Abuse, Wrap up with a Plan to Implement the Program
Begin at 8:30 (Morning Sessions Includes Coffee Break (Snacks Provided*))
Lunch at 12:00 (Snacks Provided*)
Finish at 4:30 (Afternoon Coffee Break (Snacks Provided*)
* Please indicate any Dietary Restrictions on the Registration Form!