Say 'No' to private health care!
- At 10 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 10, those who value public health care can join a rally organized by Friends of Medicare at the facility operated by the Health Resource Centre (HRC) at #1, 1402 8th Ave. N.W., Calgary. In case you missed it in the news, HRC is the private health care provider that has filed for bankruptcy and required a bailout of millions of dollars from taxpayers. For more information on the rally ... and for the FOM blog, click here ...
Reforming broken revenue system vital to Alberta's future
- The global economic news is gloomy and it's clear that Alberta's recovery from the recession is still on shaky ground. The problems have been compounded by a broken revenue system that is dependent on volatile resource revenues. It's time for a grown-up conversation on how to fix our revenue system. For more information ...
McKesson Canada strike in Edmonton is over
- After 66 days on the picket line, members of UFCW 401 at McKesson Canada in Edmonton are going back to work, after voting to accept a memorandum recommended by the union that included significant pay raises and improvements in vision and dental care. For more information ...
Canada Malting workers on strike in Calgary
- Members of UFCW 1118 who work at Canada Malting began a strike on August 24, after voting 80% to reject the company's final offer. Please join them on the picket line. For more information ...
Labour movement urged to help Pakistan flood victims
- The Canadian Labour Congress, in co-operation with the Canadian Red Cross, is working to provide an easy way for union members to make a donation to help flood victims in Pakistan and instantly receive a tax receipt. The federal government will match individual donations until Sept. 12. From now until Sept. 30, 2010, you can make a secure donation by clicking here ...
- September 5, 2010 - Calgary Pride Parade, 8th Avenue and 8th Street SW, Calgary
- September 6, 2010 - EDLC Annual Labour Day Barbeque, Giovanni Caboto Park, 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- September 6, 2010 - CDLC Annual Labour Day Barbeque, Calgary Olympic Plaza, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- September 10/11, 2010 - CDLC Municipal Election Training Workshop. For more details ...
Did you know ...
The following provisions and protections are in existing health acts the Alberta government wants to replace with the Alberta Health Act:
- the prohibition on the operation of private hospitals;
- the limits to and conditions on the provision of private surgical services;
- Doctors opting in or out (not practising in both the public and private systems);
- prohibited fees; and
- the prohibition of queue jumping.
Do you like this post?