Position: Director of Policy Analysis, parental leave replacement position
Posting Closed: April 22, 2018
Start Date: April or early May, 2018
About the AFL
For more than 100 years, unions all over Alberta have worked together under the umbrella of the Alberta Federation of Labour.
The AFL currently has 29 member unions representing more than 170,000 workers in a wide range of occupations all over the province.
Through research, advocacy, lobbying and direct action, the Federation has improved working conditions, protected human rights, and helped make Alberta a better place to live, work, and play.
The AFL seeks a Director of Policy Analysis for the duration of a parental leave to conduct in-depth research in support of campaigns and goals of the labour movement. The director of research will assist with preparation of reports, publications and other materials in response to various issues and strategic campaigns.
We are looking for someone who can think critically and strategically and can function both independently and as part of a team. Ideal candidates have the following skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in the labour movement;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong personal planning, motivation, and time management skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment;
- Competence in a variety of research methods (interview, computer-based, etc.) and policy analysis skills, excellent writing and speaking ability; applied experience in either public interest issues, union organizing, or public fiscal/policy analysis;
- Familiarity with a variety of computer based research tools, basic financial concepts and good quantitative skills;
- High competency in economic and statistical analysis;
- Ability to work well with a broad range of people and entities;
- Motivation and drive to excel in this position;
The Director of Policy Analysis will report to the President, serve as a member of our executive staff and interact with our affiliate unions and partners.
Requirements and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and several years experience in research and policy analysis, or have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. A commitment to the goals and objectives of the trade union movement is essential and must be demonstrated.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a member of Unifor 445. A competitive salary and benefits are attached pursuant to the collective agreement.
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter and the names of references to:
Alberta Federation of Labour Human Resources Committee
C/o Siobhán Vipond, Secretary Treasurer
Subject: HR: Director of Policy Analysis and Research Job Application
Note: Only those candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
The AFL is committed to considering applicants who identify as part of an equity group including workers of colour, aboriginal workers, LGBT workers, woman workers, young workers and workers with disabilities. We encourage members within an equity group, experienced activists, organizers, labour representatives, directors, researchers and educators of all backgrounds, to apply.